Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
lb110.jpg
CONSTRUCTION OF THE MILLER AND PAINE TOWER, 1916. This summer early-morning view catches the east (left) and north (center) faces of the Miller and Paine Department Store in full light. The bicycle rack in the foreground advertises Wonderland, a movie theater kitty-corner across the intersection from the department store. The new eight-story tower, including its wide projecting cornice, is shown fully framed, awaiting its walls of brick and rich terra-cotta ornament. Miller and Paine became Lincoln's premier and longest-lasting local department store until Dillard's purchased the business in the 1980s. The handsome, refurbished buildings now provide office space.<br />
<br />
Photographs taken on black and white glass negatives by African American photographer(s) John Johnson and Earl McWilliams from 1910 to 1925 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Douglas Keister has 280 5x7 glass negatives taken by these photographers. Larger scans available on request.