JAMES AND SUSAN O'DONNELL HOUSE. The O'Donnells lived at 623 C Street, in the heart of Lincoln's South Bottoms neighborhood. Immigrant Germans from Russia were the predominant ethnic group in the neighborhood, but the O'Donnells and a number of other African American families resided throughout the area. South Bottoms featured five German churches along with Quinn Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church at Ninth and C Streets. For many years, James O'Donnell (1872-1930) was the proprietor of a lunch counter in downtown Lincoln.
Photographs taken on black and white glass negatives by African American photographer(s) John Johnson and Earl McWilliams from 1910 to 1925 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Douglas Keister has 280 5x7 glass negatives taken by these photographers. Larger scans available on request.