Tampa’s Ybor City district, once a center of cigar manufacturing, has today been reborn as one of the city’s liveliest retail districts. Anchoring one end of its main street is the Columbia Restaurant, founded by Cuban immigrant Casimiro Hernandez as a corner cafe for cigar workers in 1905. Now in its fifth generation of family ownership, the Columbia lays claim to being Florida’s oldest restaurant. Beginning with this elaborately tiled two-story central portion dating from 1920, the building was continually expanded until it occupied the entire block. The original tiles were reputedly a gift from the Spanish government; over the years, additional tiles from around the world have been added, along with relatively modern examples done by local artisans.