The Villa Primavera in West Hollywood was the first of a series of Spanish Revival apartment courts designed by the remarkable husband-and-wife team of Arthur and Nina Zwebell, who all but single-handedly turned this neglected building type into a Los Angeles art form. Built on a large corner site in 1923, the Primavera’s floor plan is in the form of a hollow rectangle; none of the ten apartments are entered from the exterior face of the building. Instead, a short passageway leads into the central courtyard, and only from there to the apartments that surround it. This view of the Primavera’s courtyard shows the two-story block at the rear of the site, its upper and lower verandas now nearly obscured by foliage. The access passage to the garages is visible just beyond the right edge of the fountain; roughly above it is a miniature campanario.