BESIDE THE CHURCH. The wall behind this young man, who poses so confidently, appears to be Mount Zion Baptist Church. That African American congregation was Lincoln's second black church when founded in 1879. The congregation built a stone "basement church" in 1892 on a building site received from the Nebraska legislature in 1883. The stuccoed main story of the church was not added until 1922-1925.
Photographs taken on black and white glass negatives by African American photographer(s) John Johnson and Earl McWilliams from 1910 to 1925 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Douglas Keister has 280 5x7 glass negatives taken by these photographers. Larger scans available on request.